The Arrowhead State Trail follows 135
miles from the Taconite State Trail near Lake
Vermilion/Tower/Ely to just south of
International Falls. The multi-purpose trail is known for its
winter snowmobiling. During
non-winter months the trail is used for hiking, mountain biking, and horseback
riding. Approximately 69 miles of the trail are suitable for
During its journey, the
Arrowhead travels within 10 miles of the BWCA, within a mile of the
Voyageurs National Park and passes through the Sturgeon River State
Forest and Kabetogama State Forest. Adjoining trails
include: Hagerman Trail, Voyageur West Trail, Voyageur Crane
Lake Trail, Voyageur Country Trail, Voyageur Trail, Wolf Track
Trail, Bearskin Trail, and Taconite Trail.
Share the trail
- Stay on designated trails.
- Keep right so others can pass.
- Keep all pets on leash.
- Obey traffic signs and rules.
- Pack out all garbage and litter.
- Respect adjoining landowners rights and privacy.
- Warn other trail users when passing by giving an audible
- Some horses may be spooked by quiet bikers or in-line
skaters. Let them know you are passing.
- Overnight camping and campfires are permitted only on
- Do not leave campfires unattended.
- Enjoy the beauty of wild plants & animals, but leave
them undisturbed for all to enjoy.
State Trail Web site
Arrowhead State Trail
State Trail Map Download (PDF)